Nick’s Key Summary points. Advice to sports venues
Speaker - Nick Saunter, CEO, Eden Park
- Leverage the power of your brand through the experience economy
- Embrace the community as an anchor – (Eden Park changed this issue from a challenge to an asset through consultation)
- Be flexible, but do not change your core fundamental values
- Embrace Innovation, and creativity
- Be strategic, but remain authentic. Do not innovate to compromise your DNA.
Hospitality: Opportunity is burgeoning… secret is:
Speakers - Rob Paddon, Director Venue Sales, Fulham FC - Rob March, Commercial Director, Chester Racecourses - Guy Dunston, MD, NEC Arenas - Lisa Knights, Hd of Comms, Ashton Gate
- Multiple options catering for a wide range of price points
- Adding an experience to achieve premium pricing
- Move towards informality- what do you do with someone wearing £500 trainers?!
- Move away from boxes to more flexible spaces- benefit of broader networking and greater ‘ambience’
Rebuilding and Recovery
Speakers - Robert Fitzpatrick, CEO Arena Resilience Alliance - Steve McArdle, Director, Bleep UK - Caroline McEleney, MD, Aspire Group
- Your venue should now be safer, smarter, quicker to serve your fans, and you should have an understanding of the value of your data.
- Fans have a greater appetite to spend…but expectations are higher
- Don’t under-estimate the importance of training your staff
- Any change should be endemic: not be imposed by the board, but developed in collaboration with the broader team- in order to secure full buy in.
- Technology is important, but it’s the people that create the culture.
- Don’t forget to accommodate different generations- not just for comms, but also for food choices
- Focus on the ‘why’ not the ‘how’
- New Customer Experience= Mandatory Requirements + Employee Training
Lessons from EuroLeague Basketball
Speakers - Fabian Fischer, CRO, FC Bayern - Une Marija Jurkstaite, CRO, Zalgiris Kaunas
- Don’t outsource ticket sales- do it yourself- the culture is better
- Create a ‘Business Circle’ B2B networking to drive ticketing and sponsorship sales (potentially restrict to hospitality clients)
- Sacrifice poor sited seats for hospitality options
- Give people reasons to come to your venue early- broader entertainment offering
Speakers - Ben Wells, CMO, PTI - Franco Segarra, Innovation Director, Valencia FC - Patrick McMeekin, Seatserve
- Become a marketing organisation, not a sales organisation
- Data is useless without smart tools and smart people to analyse it
- Digital ordering increases the size of the basket
- Digital can extend the event experience pre and post the match day
- Use your data to find out what people want, not to try to sell them what you have
- Don’t be seduced by vanity matrix. What is real ROI?
- Don’t iterate- effective digital change really requires an holistic revolution
These issues will be picked up and expanded upon at the UK Events Summit on 15th December at Emirates Old Trafford - www.meisummits.com
MEI UK Events Summit