In this changing world, a rethink of marketing and sales initiatives needs to take place to respect the rules of social distancing. Hospitality in the world of sports is a fast and impactful way to find and connect with existing and new customers and to engage and motivate staff.
Key strategy components however have not changed:
- Make sure a hospitality strategy is linked to corporate mission, objectives, and revenue goals
- Focus on the use of best practice programmes of past events to identity the events, sports and target audience for a hospitality strategy
- Engage experienced consultants at the start to ensure early engagement by the internal leadership and the Board with focus on ROI
- Identify a hospitality programme “Champion” from within the leadership of the corporation to provide a direct link to programme planning and activation including all important budget planning
- Engage with current clients and other sponsors in the planning and activation of the programme. A cooperative approach stretches budgets and maximises exposure to experiences and guests lists
- Pay attention to ever changing rules on accepting gifts and hospitality in planning content and format of hospitality programmes.
- Engage across the company to identify guests to include staff, suppliers, VIP clients, potential clients and organisations and community engagement groups. Each member of the team needs to have a role to play and a touch point with the programme
- Design a long-term strategy to grow with athletes, events and sustainable projects highlighted by hospitality programmes, communication and ROI. This strategy creates the full circle back to the corporate mission, objectives and revenue goals in the first step!
With a solid strategy, new rules of social distancing can be integrated efficiently and cost effectively and prove to be a viable and important addition to the bottom line.
Len Olender is a specialist consultant with Viandengroup who brings his experience of 14 Olympic Summer and Winter Games, 5 Commonwealth Games and a variety of major sporting events to large and small companies and brands from around the world.